Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Raising Pigs

Remember when I mentioned that we got some pigs, Hank & Rosie? Well, Hank & his friends Boomer & Double Stuff are no longer with us, as of this past weekend. I feel sad to see them go, but I am very happy that we have been able to have this experience of raising our own food. We have been able to ensure that Hank & his friends have been fed lots of good for you foods, have been treated well & have been healthy, and have had a good life, filled with lots of mud baths, running around, and snorting when they are excited.

Here are a couple of pictures of Hank & The Boys from early November. Hank is the pink boy, Boomer is all black, and Double Stuff has a ring of pink around his middle:)



The boys have been eating a steady diet of pig feed, lots & lots (& lots) of pumpkin & squash, and plenty of grain, fruit, and vegetable scraps.  They start snorting as soon as they know you are coming with a bucket of goodies for them. Seriously cute. These pics are in the muddiest part of their pen, and are after a big snowstorm, so this area is extra wet-no worries though, they have plenty of other areas to check out besides this muddy spot.

I will let you know a bit more about the processing and the cost of raising Hank once I learn more about this myself, probably in the next month or so.

2 comments:

  1. Now for the green eggs and ham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopped by to say thank you for entering the giveaway on my blog! And that is wonderful about raising your own pigs - my husband grew up on a farm & wants desperately to go back to a simpler lifestyle & more self-sufficient. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!