Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Update on Rosie




Remember when I told you about Rosie? She was so cute and sweet and we adored her. 


Well, she didn't make it. 

Right before we went Off Duty for a little Wild Maine Blueberrying vacation, we went to check on Rosie. She was staying at a nearby farm. We had seen her that Friday and we stopped by on Tuesday to say hello and check in before we headed out for a bit. We knew she was small, and I had my concerns from the start that she was too little to leave her mom, but the farmer from whom she came (is that awkward & poor grammar or what?!) assured us that she was ok to go. 


Anyway, she wasn't doing too hot that day we stopped to say hello. She hadn't grown and she had some serious breathing issues. Mr. Rescued Goods ended up taking her home and staying home with her while the kids and I went to camp. I felt awful to leave him and her but we didn't want the kids to watch her in distress. And the Mr. was scheduled to bring Rosie to see the farmer the next morning for some advice. He stayed up with her that night and tried to get her to eat & drink, but she didn't make it through the night. 

I have thought about it lots since then, and I can now think of many things we could have tried to help her, but I don't know if it would have helped. We were (and are still) new pig keepers and are still learning the ropes about this whole farm animal thing.


For the future, I would definitely say that if we aren't certain that a pig is old enough to leave her mom, we need to stick with our gut feeling. Squirrel was heartbroken, as were we all. I know that this is the same end result that would have happened to Rosie, but we wanted her to have a good happy healthy life first. So, I feel really badly that she didn't make it. So, I know I am late on sharing the news, but I wasn't quite sure how to say it. Thanks for stopping by and for listening.

Vanessa

4 comments:

  1. The loss of an animal is always sad. Our family has mourned the loss of a cat who lived with us for over 20 years and the loss of a dog that was our daughter's constant sidekick from preschool until she left for college. His death in her second year of college was very hard. Death is a painful lesson for us and our children, and it's one that animals can help us learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sadness. I'm so sorry for all of you. That's just terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Vanessa. I can see why you are all heartbroken. I would be too. So sorry to hear about little Rosie's untimely passing. Hugs to the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad...RIP, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!