Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I got nothin...

So, last week I said that Wednesdays would be about Preserving the Harvest... I didn't preserve much this week (by not much, I mean nothing).

I had big plans to do sun dried tomatoes, but life got in the way. I have made the evil cake balls again, and I did make a totally awesome (if I do say so myself) hot fudge sauce. I will try to figure out the recipe at some point and share it, but my methods are more like pinch of this and more of that...

Since I didn't do anything, just wanted to remind you about an awesome use of tomatoes that I mentioned last year. Make your own salsa to keep or to eat now.  

1 comment:

  1. Love the salsa idea. We have SO MANY TOMATOES right now I need all the ideas I can get!!

    We made a great quick dinner last night which used up about a pound and half of tomatoes. We chopped a large shallot and two cloves of garlic and sauteed briefly in oil. Then we added two boneless chicken breast halves, sliced thinly crosswise. When the chicken was cooked we tossed in a thinly sliced red pepper and green pepper and sauteed briefly. Then we added a pound and a half of coarsely chopped tomatoes (ours were a combo of plum, sun gold, and black cherries, but any variety will do) and cooked them till the whole thing got saucy (maybe 10 minutes?) and served it over pasta. It also works with thinly sliced beef or pork as well. Even so, we still have so many tomatoes!

    I've also been roasting the plum tomatoes: halve and toss with olive oil and kosher salt. Place face down on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 250 for about 3 hours. They're great as a topping for pizza or to add to a regular tomato sauce for extra deep flavor. And they freeze well.

    Happy harvest. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!