Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

How to Turn an Old Puzzle into Magnets & a Wall Hanging


"Why was 6 afraid of 7?"
"Because 7 ate 9!"


So, we had this old wooden puzzle hanging around that wasn't getting any love. Usually I give our outgrown puzzles to friends as hand me downs, or sell them back to a consignment store, but this one was a bit out dated. I have had an idea for it for way too long, and after my success with my clock revamp, it was time to dust off the puzzle pieces!


This project is awesome, because it is a 2 for 1 deal! We all know that I love a deal! One old unused puzzle (even a puzzle that is missing pieces-yeah!) will get you one set of magnets and a wall hanging. What a steal!

Supplies Needed;
Wooden or chipboard puzzle, complete or incomplete
Pretty paper &/or old book
Mod Podge (or watered down glue, as I sometimes use)
E-600 or heavy duty glue
Magnets
Embellishments
Permanent Markers 
Your own artwork or a piece you have found
A cool font or your fancy hand

So, first up will be our magnets. My puzzle was a numbers puzzle. Remove the pieces from the puzzle. Trace the pieces onto your pretty paper. Be sure you trace them in the correct direction (i.e. Be sure you are tracing the shape onto the paper so the right shape will glue onto the piece the right way. I wanted to cover the printed puzzle piece so I traced the piece with the printed side up on the printed side of the paper.)


Cut your papers and mod podge onto the puzzle pieces.


Once the pieces have dried, use your permanent marker to decorate the pieces. The alphabet, numbers, a name, or an inspiring word are all great options. But you are the artist! So chose what you love! Once the marker dries, re-coat with mod podge &/or spray with protective sealant. I re-coated, and sprayed with the sealant, as these will need some extra protection while they are being moved around on the fridge by little hands. (Since our fridge is already very weighted down with magnets, I hope to list this set in the shop this weekend-but Dozer & I may have a slight disagreement on this.)


Once they have dried, glue your magnets onto the back of the pieces with a heavy duty glue. I use these heavy duty magnets because they are so totally awesome, but you could also re-use any freebie store magnets you have hanging around.


Give these magnets to a special person and watch their eyes light up! 

A serious word of caution. If you do use the heavy duty magnets, please never leave kids unsupervised with these magnets. If swallowed they could cause very serious injury or death.

OK, next up is something pretty from the puzzle back.


First, find the main piece of art that you would like to use for your wall hanging. I used this beauty by Stephanie Fizer from Feed Your Soul: Free Art Project. I sized it to be sure it would fit. Then, I ripped up a few pages from an old book and mod podged them onto the flat side of the puzzle back.


I also found this great font from fontspace for my text. I printed the letters but later realized I liked the hand drawn look better. I used the font as a guide and drew my own letters. Once dried I mod podged  my main piece of art over the ripped book page background.


I added embellishments and attached a ribbon to the back as a hanger. The whole design and embellishment deal is not my strength, but you can do as much or as little as you want here.


Despite Dozer's pleas to the contrary, I plan to give this as a gift to a very special friend who is a librarian.


I hope you like my 2 for 1 deal today. Do you have any puzzles hanging around ready for a 2 for 1 re-do? Thanks a million for stopping by. Have fun!

Vanessa

Linking up to
DIY Under $5
Weekend Wrap Up Party 

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! So impressed. I have craft envy. I am not worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cute! Now I will ave to be on the look out for old wooden puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! What a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!