Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

How to Re-Do an Old Cheap Clock



So, in the scheduling scheme, Fridays are going to be a spotlight day for a Rescued Good. This week, I am bragging about my new old clock. I have had this clock for ever, from the house before our current house. I liked it, but I was just kind of tired of it, and it doesn't fit in with my new (half of a) kitchen paint color. I had planned to mod podge something over it and it has been sitting in my craft closet mocking me for way too long.

 So, pretty but needing a change, right? I planned to simply take off the clock mechanism, mod podge the face, and put it back together, but of course it is totally cheap and you can't take the mechanism off without it breaking in a million small pieces. 
 
(Edited to add:Sorry about the unclear post. The Bingo face is my re-vamped clock. Not, the grapes. Nothing like being clear on things!)


So, I had to cut the paper around the hands of the clock. I usually am not this smart, but I planned ahead and figured it out with scrap paper, before using my awesome paper.



Trace your clock face, and cut out a small circle where the clock hands join in the center. Cut a straight line from this center circle to the edge of the paper.

Modge podge your paper (I used one sheet, but you can certainly use lots of little pieces too-you are the artist!) onto your clock face, carefully fitting your paper around the center of the clock where the hands meet. Smooth the paper out to the edges to reduce air bubbles. (I kind of stunk at this part, but it goes with the whole look, so it is fine, right?)


Not counting the year or so that I planned on doing this, it took me about 5 minutes total. You should try it! What fun re-vamps have you done lately?

Vanessa

9 comments:

  1. Love that! Looks very retro. Might need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Very creative! Where are you going to hang it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha! Fantastic! I picked up a clock at Goodwill the other day and had an epic fail moment when I tried to paint it. This is perfect! I think I'm going to try covering mine with a map. Thank you for the inspiration! I am stopping by from Tatertots and Jello weekend party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! It's a really neat piece. Came over via TT&J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I featured you this week! Come check it out and grab a button!
    Kim
    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/09/good-morning-sunshine.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for coming by and checking out my wine bags! I totally tried your clock idea, and its hanging in my boys room! I'm going to try to write a post on it this week, and I will be sure to link it up to you and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. I have a couple of clocks that I am goin to have to redo now. :) BTW I figured out what was wrong with my blogger settings. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!