Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

How to Preserve Green Beans

Remember back when I said I was going to post recipes on Wednesdays?! Well, I am going to! For the next few weeks, I am going to focus on preserving fresh local vegetables, from your garden or a friend's garden, or from a local farm stand. How about a Preserving the Harvest series?! If I had a clue, I might make a button for this, but, don't get too excited about that-we all know that it won't happen.

Anyway, before I start, thanks for stopping by even though I have been off duty for a long time this summer. I do have some updates to share too. Let's pretend this is a Wednesday post. In my defense, I have had little to no internet since Irene stopped by.

1. Get some fresh local beans. Snip the end or ends. I only snip the stem end, because that is how my grandmother always did it. Everyone has their own way here. Snip in half or thirds if need be.

2. Wash beans.
3. Boil a big pot of water.

4. Get a big bowl of ice cold water ready & waiting in your refrigerator.

5. Boil the beans for 2 minutes. Carefully strain them and then put them in the ice cold water for a few minutes (to stop the cooking process). (If I am doing several batches at once, I strain both the hot beans and the cold beans over another container, so I can keep the hot and cold water baths going for a bit-adding ice each time to the cold water, rather than re-filling each time and waiting for them to heat up/cool off.)


6. Strain again, and bag in freezer bags. Admire your work and enjoy fresh local beans all winter long! These are delicious sauteed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.


Lots of people can their beans too, but I prefer frozen, and it is less work! Thanks so much for stopping by! Are you canning or freezing any harvests right now?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! Frozen over canned any day. Geez that's pretty easy to do. I didn't have a clue how to do this Vanessa. Thanks so much for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!