Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Totally Awesome Dairy Farm Visit!

We have been soooo lucky to be able to visit a working family dairy farm a few times recently.

The cows are so beautiful and well taken care of and it makes us so happy to be able to visit them. As Dozer says, "Feeding cows is so much fun!"

The cows are all milking cows. They are all named (awesome names, by the way!). The tags in their ears list their birth dates (for the younger ladies). Most are Holsteins, but a few are Jerseys, and some are some fancy shades that you don't often see . But I don't know enough about any of that to talk more about it-maybe after a few more visits.


This little girl was 5 days old. I already forgot her name. The cows are able to walk about an hour after they are born.



The young calves love to suck on your hands! Just like human babies, they love to suck. Their tongues feel kind of like a big cat tongue.  I think Dozer would stay all day just letting the cows suck on his hands. (I totally would stay all day doing this too!)


 These cows all eat hay and are let out to pasture to eat fresh grass. These girls were peeking out the window to get fresh grass picked by little ones.


I have seen a great sticker a few times recently. It says, "Who's Your Farmer?" I love the message of the sticker, and I feel pretty fortunate to be able to know some great farmers around here.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I could have let the cows suckle my hands... But it's pretty cute that Dozer enjoyed it, hee hee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!