Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Easy Popover Recipe


"Ummmm. This tastes so good I feel like I am in a dream." 

True story! Real quote from Squirrel after eating one of these popovers. I loved it!

The popover recipe is straight from Pretend Soup, by Mollie Katzen.  I love this book! We take it out from the library all the time, and keep it way longer than we are supposed to. (Don't tell anyone!) I also love her book Honest Pretzels. She has another, Salad People, that we have not used, but I bet it is just as good. These books are great because they have easy, pretty healthy recipes (that taste good!). They are written, and then they are 'written' using pictures (kind of like a blog tutorial), so kids can follow the recipe on their own. Really fun!

Anyway, here are our popovers. Most fell immediately before I took the picture. They looked better before, I swear. Either way, they tasted great. We had them with potato cheddar with bacon soup. Comfort foods at their finest!





Easy Popovers, from Pretend Soup, by Mollie Katzen

2 T. butter, melted
2  eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 375, and melt butter.
2. Brush the insides of 12 muffin tins with melted butter.
3. Break eggs into mixing bowl.
4. Add milk and beat well.
5. Add flour & salt and whisk until reasonably blended-it doesn't have to be perfect.
6. Use a 1/4 cup measure to pour batter into each muffin tin. They should be 1/2-2/3 full each.
7. Bake 30 minutes without opening the oven.
8. Remove muffins from pan and prick with a fork to let steam escape.

Mollie suggests butter &/or jam on top, or dipped into maple syrup. That sounds totally delicious, but they were really great as is!

3 comments:

  1. Oh those look good!!! I'll have to relay the recipe to my hubs so he can make some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are wild about popovers, too. I usually cheat a little and use the King Arthur Flour mix, but it's all natural with no scary ingredients so I don't feel too bad. There a great recipe in another Molly Katzen book that we make fairly often calle, Giant Mushroom Popover. It's a more grown up dish (my kids have not yet discovered the wonders of mushrooms) but so good. You cook mushrooms, onions, herbs, etc in an over proof skillet, pour the popover batter over them and cook in the oven. Then you cut it into wedges and serve. I've thought you could probably do it with all kinds of fillings other than mushrooms, even spiced fruit as a dessert. It's from Vegetable Heaven, I think. Thanks for the great idea. Maybe today needs to be a popover day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Squirrel!!!! She's got the best quotes!!! Those look Amazing!.. It's a must try for me!
    Oh ya.. its me Matt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!