Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Make Your Own Lip Balm

 
We have been craftin' it up with lots of fun kits and supplies that Squirrel got for her birthday. One gift she got was the Kiss Naturals Lip Balm Kit. I love this kit-it has only natural ingredients and pure essential oils, not artificial fragrances or flavors. (Sounds like a commercial, I know.)

We simply used the kit and the instructions, but I noted the amounts of each ingredient, to share with you! (And of course, to make it again sometime very very soon!)

So, what you need to make it on your own...
  • 3 parts Shea Butter
  • 3 parts Safflower Oil
  • 1 part Bees Wax
  • Essential Oils of your choice-Instructions said a few drops. Of course I added about 15-30. Whatever you think.
  • Containers to put your lip balm in.
The kit had 2 oz each of Shea Butter and Safflower Oil, and .75 oz Bees Wax. We filled just about 10 half ounce jars.

The instructions are pretty basic...
Melt the ingredients together in the microwave or on the stove top. We used a glass pot on the stove top-it worked great and we could see everything in action!



For a while there, it looked kind of like corn chowder, before the bees wax pieces melted.


Pour into lip balm containers. Save your recycled ones if you are a lip balm addict like myself (totally doing this for next time), or order some like these.

Oh yeah, forgot to add-let cool for an hour or so. I don't think it really took that long, but just in case...

Here are some of our finished products. We made mint, pink grapefruit, and orange. They are awesome to use and to share! We have already given a few away as gifts.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! Have you ever seen the GloryBee catalog? They have really cool stuff for projects like this. Lots of supplies for candles, soaps, skin care, lip gloss. The have lots of nifty containers and labels. Very cool:

    http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love It!!!! I am going to have to try this. Oh and by the way, still loving the clutch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, can't wait to check out the GloryBee stuff-Thanks for the info! And Lindsay, I was just thinking about you and thinking about how much I loved BOTH clutches too! I swear I have a much belated post on those cuties!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!