Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Easy Birthday Cake

So, I am thinking Wednesdays will be recipe days. I am going to try to mix it up between healthy eating and not so healthy eating. For today, not so healthy, but delicious (and easy)!

This is a big chocolate chip cookie cake, from Hershey's Cocoa Easy Baking Cookbook. I love this cookbook, because it is a sturdy board book, it is filled with pictures (yum!), the recipes are easy, and everything has chocolate! My kind of cooking! And, I just scoped it out on Amazon, there are a million (OK, not quite a million-maybe 36) used copies for cheap! I know it sound like I am in sales, but I really just like chocolate. Although, if I did it correctly, I think if you buy books through my links, I might make two cents or something. I won't quit my day job!

So, here's the teaser picture. I know, it could be better. This will have to do. If you think it looks good, take 10 minutes and make two  (yes, the recipe makes 2 of the round 8 or 9 inch pans) and see what you think. 


Milk Chocolate Chip Giant Cookies

6 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. van extract
1 egg
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. choc chips
frosting or toppings as desired

1. Heat oven to 350. Line two 9 inch round baking pans with foil, extending foil over edges of pans. (I have also made these in heart shaped pans.)
2. Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla until fluffy. Add egg, beat well. Stir together flour and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread half of batter into each prepared pan, spreading to 1 inch from the edge. (Cookies will spread to edge when baking.)
3. Bake 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely; carefully lift cookies from pans and remove foil. Frost or decorate if desired. Cut into wedges. 

So, that's the scoop. As with all recipes, I am more of a 'use it as a guide' kind of gal. But this recipe is easy and fun.

4 comments:

  1. YUM!! Who doesn't love a giant cookie??

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy - bring me some crumbs tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab! I made a recipe discovery. You remember that chocolate cake recipe I posted on my blog a while back? Well, I had this vague memory of a chocolate chip cake my dad used to make when I was little and since he was the king of easy recipes I thought, "I wonder if he just used Grammy's super easy recipe but swapped chocolate chips for the cocoa powder?" I tested my hypothesis and it worked great. He may not have always gotten along with his mother in law, but he knew a good recipe when he saw one. Give it a try: http://gotitma.blogspot.com/2010/09/grammys-chocolate-cake.html

    Just substitute about 3/4 to 1 cup of choc. chips for the cocoa powder and stir them in at the very end. The kids were nuts about it. I think they like it better than the all chcolate version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies. Tara, I am in. I think I will try your dad's recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!