Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

More Harvests...





This year was a great year for onions and leeks! They are so fun to grow. As long as you can keep them weed free at the start of the season, and keep them watered fairly well, they are so happy. They reward you with this beautiful bounty! We had this http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/recipes/view/4063/hearty-potato---cheddar-with-bacon-soup soup this week, and even the kids ate it. I called it cheese & bacon soup. I almost fell out of my chair when they both asked for more! For the soup, I used less bacon & less cheese, used milk instead of cream (it's better with cream), and used more leeks and more potatoes (from our garden too!).

3 comments:

  1. That soup sounds so good! I got leeks at the CSA this week and made a potato leek soup but the addition of bacon and cheese sounds soooo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leeks look gorgeous! I've got to plant those next year. We do little leek, spinach and goat cheese tarts which are a great way to use lots of leeks. The filling is sliced leeks cooked in butter with thyme, pour in a bit of white wine and simmer until the alcohol cooks away and then add spinach, cooking until wilted. Add a couple of table spoons of cream and let the whole thing thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly and stir in a beaten egg. Then using 6 inch rounds of either pizza dough or pie dough, fill with the leek/spinach mixture, sprinkle the top with goat cheese, fold up the edges and brush with a little egg. Bake at 400 for 20 to 30 minutes. So tasty! Enjoy all those yummy leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so can't wait to try these Tara!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!