Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Harvest Time

For the past few weeks, we have been busily working to harvest and process what is left in our garden. Many things are eaten right away, but it is so exciting to be able to preserve some to eat this winter. Our current focus...


PUMPKINS!

From the pumpkins in the garden cart, we then get this... (I cut the pumpkins in half, and cook at 400 degrees for about 40-45 minutes, until they are soft. After they cool, I peel them, cut them, and throw them in the food processor.)

Most go into freezer bags to use throughout the winter, but some end up in delicious goodies like... YUM! Pumpkin whoopie pies. I used this recipe. I added a bit of sugar (suprise!) to the frosting, and I didn't have pumpkin pie spice, so I improvised (suprise!) with cinnamon, ginger, allspice, & cloves. I squeezed out a couple of extra whoopie pies from the recipe. Seriously good. (for the taste buds, not for the waist line.)


More harvest recipes to come this week!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to save the pumpkin to use through the winter. We didn't grow pumpkins this year, but I may have to hit the farmers market. I have a fantastic pumpkin choc. chip cookie recipe I'll share with you. My kids LOVE them and they always fly off the table at bake sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin whoopie pies-yum!! My favorite blogs are the ones with recipes in them, can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you had a successful garden! My family loves pumpkin bread and I wanted to make some this summer and discovered that it's only in the stores in the fall/winter. Now you will have your own stash. Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. get a load of those pumpkins! mackerel, there are all kinds! oooo whoopie pumpkin pies eh? never tried. may have to now... those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a note to say hello! I jump for joy when you leave me nice comments!